Locations Department CourseView all courses
- This course is open for 12 weeks
- 10 lesson series
- 2 hours, 33 minutes of video
- Industry-leading instructors
Movies and television shows are either shot on a set, constructed on a sound stage or on location. Shooting on location provides a variety of challenges, including finding viable locations that suit the creative and technical needs of the production, negotiating agreeable terms with the location owner, managing permits and municipal requirements, coordinating shooting events with the city, and managing interactions with the public. At the forefront of these efforts is the locations team.
Lead by the locations manager, the locations team serves as a liaison between the production, the municipality, and the location owners. They are responsible for scouting locations that meet the director’s vision, coordinating permits with the municipality, securing police when needed, negotiating with the location owner, and resolving any problems that arise during production. It’s a challenging yet rewarding career that find and coordinates real works locations to augment the world of the story. It’s also an excellent way to break into the film industry and learn how professional crews function, since locations management touches every department.
In the Location Management Course, the location managers behind Hollywood biggest blockbusters teach you the skills to break into the locations department. This course covers:
- How to break down a script for locations
- How to scout a location
- How to pitch a production to a location owner
- The required contracts and terms
- How to work with the local municipality to secure permits, close streets, and interface with the police
- How to identify the technical requirements of a production, including parking, power requirements, restroom access, and much more
- How to work with the local film commission
- How to diplomatically address neighbor concerns regarding the shoot
- How to work with the public, especially when shooting in public venues
- How to properly manage disruptive people
- The professional code of conduct for cast and crew
This self-guided online course is taught by leading location managers, including:
Mike has scouted and managed locations for "Ant-Man and the Wasp," "Spider-Man: Homecoming," "Godzilla," "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull," "3:10 to Yuma," "Memoirs of a Geisha," and "The Green Hornet”
Supervising Location Manager
Veronique has found and managed locations for "Grey's Anatomy," "How to Get Away With Murder," "Scandal," "Cold Case," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "Angels in the Outfield," and "Encino Man"
“Star Trek,” “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” “Transformers,” “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol,” “Dexter,” “Big Little Lies,” “Six Feet Under”